Homeland security and personal protection rest solely with you! This means developing the knowledge, skills and attitude to use firearms safely. You must have a plan of action to put into use when a situation calls for it. You must have solid tactics which will help you to survive.
The following are the courses taught by our staff on our private range. Our instructors are NRA (National Rifle Association) certified and either full-time or retired law enforcement officers. Courses offered include:
- Basic Pistol—teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely
- Basic Rifle—teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting.
- Basic Shotgun—teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for the safe and proper use of a shotgun in shooting a moving target.
- Black Powder Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun—teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a muzzle loading pistols, rifles and shotguns.
- Personal Protection in the Home—teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense.
- Home Firearm Safety—non-shooting course and teaches students the basic knowledge, skills, and to explain the attitude necessary for the safe handling and storage of firearms and ammunition in the home.
- Refuse To Be A Victim—non-shooting course and teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for developing a strategy for ones personal safety.
- Range Safety Officer—teaches Range Safety Officer’s roles and responsibilities, range standard operating procedures, range inspection and range rules, firearm stoppages and malfunctions and Range Safety Briefings which include emergency procedures.
The original NRA Basic Pistol class was 8 hours long and you learned how to use a revolver and a semi automatic properly and had to shoot them both on the range. It was done this way for over 20 years.
Now the NRA has changed the Basic Pistol Class to the following:
You have to go online at the NRA website and take a 6 (six) hour class on the computer with no way to ask questions or get any clarification you may need. It can be done over several sessions and once completed you will be given a (PIN) personal identification number. You then have to contact an NRA Instructor and sign up for a 5 (five) hour review and actual shooting and further instruction on the range. At the end you are given the NRA Basic Pistol Certificate. The online portion is $60.00 to the NRA and the instructor portion is $125.00.
Custom Cop Corporation has decided we are going to continue teaching the old course where you can ask questions during the classroom portion instead of sitting at a computer. With the NRA changing this course to online, many older folks can’t take the course because they either don’t have a computer or don’t want to take it online. Our Instructors are retired Police Officers who you will give you all the basic instruction you will need as well as give you the latest and most up to date training available. We will issue our own Basic Pistol Certificate at the completion of the course.
If you have any questions about the two different courses or wish to sign up, give us a call at (317) 862-3237
Basics of Pistol Shooting
Course Goal: To teach the basic knowledge and skills essential for owning and using a pistol properly and safely.
Length and cost of course: 8 (eight) hours from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm and costs $125.00 payable by cash or check.
Lesson 1: Pistol knowledge and safe gun handling – The parts of the revolver and semi automatic and how they work are explained, The basic rules of gun safety and how to load and unload pistols.
Lesson2: Ammunition parts and the fundamentals of pistol shooting – Components of a pistol cartridge, firing sequence and how to store ammunition. Different types of cartridge malfunctions and the fundamentals of shooting a pistol.
Lesson 3: Firing the first shot – Demonstrate the attitude and skills to fire a pistol safely on the range. Shoot targets from the bench rest position using the fundamentals of pistol shooting. Identify the materials needed to clean a pistol which will be done after the range time.
Lesson 4: Two handed and one handed standing shooting positions – Demonstrate the attitude and skill needed to shoot from a standing position using both hands and shooting one handed. How to score a target and the basic guidelines for purchasing a pistol.
We will shoot both revolver and semi automatic so you may bring your own pistol(s) and should bring 50 (fifty) rounds of ammunition. If you do not have a pistol, we provide .22 caliber revolvers and semi automatics and ammunition at no charge. Dress for the weather because we shoot rain or shine, hot or cold. If you have your own eye and ear protection, bring it, if not we have it as well. Bring some kind of hat as well. We will demonstrate how to clean the pistol after shooting but you will need to clean yours when you go home. Since people bring so many different types of pistols it would be very time consuming to allow everyone to clean their own pistol during the class.
We have coffee, soft drinks, hot and cold water, indoor restrooms, and refrigerator and microwave. Bring your own lunch and snacks because our range is out in the country and we only break for about a half (1/2) hour to eat.
We will issue a Custom Cop Corporation certificate upon completion of the basic pistol course. We will not issue a certificate to anyone who is not safe with a firearm so pay attention and ask questions. We limit our classes to 12 (twelve) people which allows for individual instruction and attention as needed. If you have any further questions or want to reserve a spot, give us a call at (317) 862-3237
For our schedule of classes, please see the Training Schedule page. Custom Cop looks forward to teaching you how to protect yourself, your loved ones and your belongings. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Keep your shooting eyes on the prizes: liberty and justice.